Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Foggy London Town

Ok so I apologize for being such a slacker when it comes to posting our London pictures. I assure you have tried, but I've been swamped at work, and my stupid computer at home refuses to work. With that said... here is a recap of our amazing London adventure...

Where to begin? We were only there a week but it felt like so much longer. We crammed so much sight seeing into each day it was ridiculous... necessary but ridiculous. We saw everything there is to see in London and then some. It was so amazing have Brian's Nana there with us. She told us so many of her stories from the war and showed us all of the places that were important to her. I'm so thankful that we have someone like that in our lives. She is a plethera of history and information. Every day thousdands of WW2 surviors die and we don't even realize it. It's sad that we don't take advantage of all of their knowledge because soon they will all be gone. There is so much amazing history to be seen and learned in London. Walking through Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's Cathedral alone were absolutely breathtaking. (Also a bit creepy beacause there are tombs of kings, queens, writers, war heros, etc. everywhere)

We did our fair share of pub crawling as well. Brian's younger brother Brad was stoked because the drinking age is lower over there. You can't walk five steps without running into a pub. They are everywhere and so cool looking. (I've got my fill of beer for awhile I can tell you that much) I'm not sure I quite understand their appetites over there though. Obviously tons of fish and chips, lamb, pork, tuna, and some other wierd stuff. I was definitely ready to come back to american food after a whole week of it.
The Imperial War Museum was probably one of my absolute favorite things about London. So many cool things to see. The best was the Holocaust Exihibit. I think I had chills the entire time walking through that. Some of the things I saw made me physically ill to look at, but it happened and we don't ever need to forget that.
It was definitely a long and tiring week (my feet still have blisters from walking so much) but I would LOVE to go back again someday. A week is not nearly enough. I'm so thankful we were given the opportunity to go...
Here are a few of my favorites from the week. I will post all of them on facebook once I can figure out my stupid computer at home.
Buckingham Palace
Picadilly Circus... it was like a mini Times Square




This is the Pub where Brian's Nana and Grandad first met...

Above: Big Ben and the houses of Parliament

The London Eye... a.k.a... one HUGE ferris wheel... great views up there. A bit scary though.


Picture Above and Below... Tower of London...


Westminster Abbey

Above: Me at the place where Nana stayed after her house was bombed during the war.

All of us, minus Brian, at Windsor Castle... the Queen stays here most weekends.

Inside of the Swan and Bottle... another pub.

Ok well that will have to do you for now because I have to get back to work. I'll post the remaining 300 pics on Facebook. ha! One more story before I sign off... So we were walking down the streets of Picadilly Circus. It's really like New York... people walking on the streets everywhere. WELL... I put my arm out and locked it with Brian's so I wouldn't lose him when I hear "ELLO LOVE!" It was some HUGE drunk scottsman... definitely NOT Brian. Scared the crap out of me, but then I couldn't stop laughing. Moral of this story... look before you grab your husbands arm.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahahaha I love the story about the scotsman! :)

Love the pics... want to see some close ups of your face though!

Jacci said...

i second the birthday girl, put em up on facebook!

glad you had such a great time.

miss yooooooou. i can't wait until may.