Monday, March 31, 2008

Young Life

Hello all. Yet another rainy day here in Missouri. Pretty sure you have all watched on the news, but we've had quite a problem with flooding lately, and it's not going to get any better if it doesn't stop raining like it has been. On a good note... it's making everything green again!


Brian and I have been looking for a way for us to grow together in our faith and also some way to minister to others. Well... we have recently just got plugged in to Young Life (plugged back in for me...) All through high school I went to Young Life and absolutely LOVED it. I'm sure some of you have heard of Young Life, but if you haven't it is basically a place where high school kids can come and be KIDS, while being introduced to Christ. It takes a lot of dedicated people to keep a nationally recognized non-profit organization like Young Life going. My parents joined the committee for our area soon after I graduated college and have been helping out ever since. My Young Life leader in high school was a woman by the name of Tonya. She absolutely without a doubt had the most significant impact on my adolescent life. She was the most amazing friend and mentor. She is no longer involved with Young Life (she has 4 kids of her own), but to this day I still call her my "Young Life leader". We still talk regularly and she is constantly checking up on me to see how I'm doing. It's WONDERFUL having such an amazing follower of Christ in my life to look up to. Oddly enough, she works at the Vineyard where Brian and I got married so we got to plan my wedding together :) God works in mysterious ways.

With all of that said, I really hope to become that sort of influence in some girl's life like Tonya was in mine. It will take lots of time and commitment, but I think Brian and I are ready for something like this. I am by no means a perfect person, but I think even lending an ear and telling someone that God loves them can be enough. Just BEING THERE.

So... keep Brian and I in your prayers the next couple of months as we train to become Young Life leaders.

Tomorrow is Friday! That will put a smile on anyone's face...

1 comments:

Valerie said...

I think it's awesome you and Brian are doing Young Life. Those teenagers are gonna love you!